Excerpt from Ashley Whitworth, Education & Outreach Program coordinator
The Colorado Springs Fire Department is pleased to announce the opportunity for grant funding for the Wildfire Mitigation Cost Share Program. This is not a grant award, but a dollar for dollar match up to $500 per household to address wildfire risk within 30 feet of your home. Each household must contact the Wildfire Mitigation Section on the front end for a free onsite consultation and to complete the proper paperwork. This funding cannot pay for retroactive work and is not intended to “landscape” or maintain your property. Work must be completed by a licensed and insured contractor with the City of Colorado Springs. This program is currently available to households in the following neighborhoods:
Broadmoor - Broadmoor Bluffs (Upper and Lower) - Broadmoor Downs - Broadmoor Hills - Broadmoor Park - Broadmoor Resort Community - Canyons at Broadmoor - Constellation - Country Broadmoor - Gold Camp - Highland Oaks - Highland Terrace - Mountain Oaks - NCC - Old Broadmoor - Overlook Colony - Skyway - Skyway Heights - Spires - Star Ranch - Stratton (Includes Forest, Pines and Preserves) - Top of Skyway
“Sharing the Responsibility”...Wildfire Mitigation Stipend Guidelines
- Intended to address wildfire risk to homes dealing with surrounding fuels in the homeignition zone (first 30’.)
- This is not a grant award but a DOLLAR-FOR-DOLLAR MATCH up to $500 per household.
- Cannot reimburse residents for work already completed.
- Not intended to “landscape” or maintain your property – has to follow mitigation
standards. Funding will be for hazardous fuels removal, not stump grinding, vegetation
replacement or mulch replacement.
- No money to exchange hands; City and residents will be invoiced directly from the
- Must use a tree service licensed / insured with the City of Colorado Springs.
- Walk-thru with CSFD, resident and contractor is required prior to work being done –all
work discussed will be noted on work form and signed off by the owner and the
contractor. Homeowner will receive an estimate for the work beforehand.
- Each participant must sign a stewardship agreement.
- Limited funds – First come, first served. Additional sign-ups will be on the “stand-by” list
in case not all funds are used up.
- Call Ashley or Solomon to schedule a walk-thru of the property with the contractor. Ashley Whitworth: 719-385-7342 or firstname.lastname@example.org Solomon Schmidt: 719-385-7368 or email@example.com